any cacti/rrdtool users out there?

Dominic Mitchell dom at happygiraffe.net
Fri Dec 6 03:21:48 GMT 2002

On Thu, Dec 05, 2002 at 09:38:32PM +0000, Frank Shute wrote:
> On Thu, Dec 05, 2002 at 11:50:38AM -0000, Robin Garbutt wrote:
> >
> > I'm running cati with rrdtool, however on cranking it up by running the
> > cmd.php file command line i.e:
> > php /usr/home/cacti/cmd.php
>
> I'm afraid I don't know these tools. But it looks like cacti isn't in
> ports, so it could need some manual configuration to get it going. How
> much? I don't know.
>

> > I get:-
> >
> > bash-2.05a# php /usr/home/cacti/cmd.php
> > ping: invalid count of packets to transmit: `loopback0.gw4.phl1.alter.net'
>
> Don't know what this is about.

Sounds like a different syntax between Linux ping and FreeBSD ping.
Possibly use of the -c option.

> > /usr/bin/smbstatus: not found
>
> That sounds like it's looking for some samba stuff.

Also it's looking in the wrong place.  FreeBSD installs it in
/usr/local/bin.

> > cat: /proc/meminfo: No such file or directory
>
> Look at: man 5 procfs
> It doesn't make any mention of /proc/meminfo. Perhaps it appears on
> Linux procfs? If I remember correctly, it does.

Yep, these are Linux only.  The same information is available in FreeBSD
from other sources (top(1) being one, some from sysctl(8) and some from
pstat(8)).

> > cat: /proc/meminfo: No such file or directory
> > cat: /proc/meminfo: No such file or directory
> > cat: /proc/meminfo: No such file or directory
> > wc: /var/log/httpd/access_log: open: No such file or directory
>
> Missing Apache log file I think. Mines at:
>
> /var/log/httpd-access.log
>
> > cat: /proc/meminfo: No such file or directory
> >
> > hence there's no data being graphed.
> >
> > ny ideas?
>
> You're tring to install a linux program on FreeBSD & it doesn't like
> it?

Yep, lots of linuxisms.  You'll need to spend a while going through the
code and changing things to work with FreeBSD.  It shouldn't be that
hard, though.  Just grep through the source for the file names/programs
you've mentioned and change them.

When you've done that, don't forget to send your changes back to the
original authors to make it easier for the next version!

> > cheers in advance!
>
> I'm largely guessing really! Sorry not to be of more help.

Nope, you were spot on!

-Dom