throttling bandwidth by percentage

Lou Kamenov lou.kamenov at aeye.net
Tue Dec 3 11:09:27 GMT 2002

In some email I received from Paul Civati <paul at xciv.org>
tests=IN_REP_TO,AWL version=2.31 on Tue, 03 Dec 2002 10:59:10 +0000 :

> "Robin Garbutt" <rob at portfoliodesign.net> wrote:
>
> > Is there a way of throttling bandwidth by percentage on a freebsd
> > unit acting as a bridge from an internal network to an adsl router?
>
> ALTQ can do this, it's a lot more based around classes than IP match
> rules.  Problem is, it's not integrated into the 4.x branch (it's in
> -current I think) so you'd have to find some up to date patches and
> try and integrate them into the kernel sources, a bit tricky.

ALTQ is not just another bandwidth shaper though, it`s more than that :)
There is a patch for it:
http://www.csl.sony.co.jp/person/kjc/kjc/software.html#ALTQ
And some more information on: http://www.rofug.ro/projects/freebsd-altq/
I might say that altq bandwidht control is more advanced than ipfw
pipes in the different scenarios.

anyway, HTH

cheers,
-lk

----

Lou Kamenov	lou at freebsd-bg.org		lou.k at hq.aeye.net
FreeBSD BGUG	http://www.freebsd-bg.org	http://www.aeye.net
Key Fingerprint - 936F F64A AD50 2D27 07E7  6629 F493 95AE A297 084A
One advantage of talking to yourself is that you know at least
somebody's listening. - Franklin P. Jones