throttling bandwidth by percentage

Kevin O Connor kevin at rainford.org.uk
Tue Dec 3 10:56:57 GMT 2002

Quality of Service is a technique for traffic prioritizing. Basicly you need
to policies one allowing 0%->100% bandwidth and one 50%->100% if no packets
with the second policy are present then policy 1 can have 100% of bandwidth
however under load with packets from both sets of machines fighting for
bandwidth policy2 is allowed no less than 50%. However QoS is not well
documented on FreeBSD there is a fair bit on the web on it under Linux
implementations. You do need to read up on it as getting it wrong can cause
strangeness in the network
Kevin