Wireless LAN recommendation ?

Pete French pete at twisted.org.uk
Mon Dec 2 15:09:35 GMT 2002

> for the time being you need a licence to use 802.11a, which costs a
> few tens of pounds... you'll also probably get less useful range than
> 802.11b, depends if you live in an olde thick-wall house or a new
> cardboard house.

TThick walled - but its only got to go about 12 feet from the study to
the linge (through 2 concrete walls, admittedly)

> the licence takes a short time to get, and lasts 6 months.  by then the
> 5GHz 802.11a spectrum may be made open like 2.5GHz is for 802.11b.

very interesting - my old colleagues at the R.A. being their usual
selves I see! I ssuspect, however, that I am actually going to be
shafted by the lack of drivers for the laptop end of the network
as there dont appear to be OSX drivers for any 802.11a cards (I havent
investigated the FreeBSD end of things yet).



More information about the Ukfreebsd mailing list