Networking novice needs help

Jeff LaCoursiere jeff at jeff.net
Sun Dec 1 02:14:29 GMT 2002

I'm jumping into this late and didn't read all of the responses, but for
what it is worth...

If you are having arp trouble and especially if it won't light your hub
you may have a cabling issue.  If you made the cables yourself (?) and
didn't use the pairs correctly (i.e. using one half of each pair for
xmit and again for recv) you can have this kind of problem with
cheaper network cards (when more expensive 3com cards, for whatever
reason, can deal with the extra noise fine).

Good luck,