ISA network card trouble...conquered!

Pete French pete at twisted.org.uk
Fri Aug 30 12:17:28 BST 2002

> Thanks for the advice Peter. I'll be honest, I've not been able to get the
> DHCP to work on BSD yet. I've used the sysinstall method, and it hasn't
> found any details from blueyonder. This seems to be equivalent to entering
> the details into rc.conf, as sysinstall enters the details for you...I'm not
> sure, it just doesn't seem as easy as everyone's making out. What do you
> reckon?

For me it was trivial. First bit of advice would be to make
sure the machine dual boots windows and BSD. That way you can check
the cable infrastructure under Windows. Also the blueyonder engineers
will only fix it under windows. I've never had a problem that was BSD
related, but I could only prove this by making sure it had win2k on it.

My rc.conf looks like this (the relevent bits)

ifconfig_fxp0="dhcp"
ifconfig_fxp1="inet 192.168.3.1 netmask 255.255.255.0"
gateway_enable="YES"
firewall_enable="YES"
firewall_type="open"
natd_interface="fxp0"
natd_enable="YES"

note that I just run the firewall as "open" - I am only really interested
in doing NAT, and the rest of the ports are closed off on that box anyway.
fxp0 is the cable modem side (built in to the motherboard on the machine
in this casse) and fxp1 is the side with all my other machines attached.

my dhclient.conf file looks like this

prepend domain-name-servers 127.0.0.1;

but that is because I run a local namesserver. it works fine without this
in it and just queries the blueyonder ones as it should.

Does the box find blueyonder O.K. if you boot it under windows ? if
not then that would be my first step. Remember blueyonder will only work
wiith the ether card on which the system was originally installed as it
is bound to the MAC address on the card.

Secondly, if you boot the box and the run a web browser to look at
http://192.168.100.1/ then yu should see a page produced by the cable
modem itself (which has a small webserver in it). this will let you look
at the configuartion of the modem so you can see what it it up to.
more basically, if you cannot seethis page then your machine cannot
see the modem! never mind the doownstream connectiong, this needs to
work first.

If that doesnt work then you neeed to check that the twisted pair port on
the ISA card functions correctly. Some of the old ones needed jumpers to
switch between BNC/AUI/TP

-bat.