Authenticated CVSup

Dominic Mitchell dom at happygiraffe.net
Fri Aug 23 08:30:39 BST 2002

On Thu, Aug 22, 2002 at 01:48:39PM +0100, Bruce M Simpson wrote:
> Is anybody out there using Authenticated CVSup out there with any of the
> UK mirrors? I'd like to automate my local mirror of CVSROOT if possible,
> so that I don't have to do it manually, but I am sure one can appreciate
> that one would not be happy about running this as a cronjob without some
> means of authenticating the remote server.

In theory, you could do it by running cvsup over an SSL tunnel, and
checking the certificates of the server.  But I've never heard of
anybody actually doing this.  If you had an account on the CVSup server,
you could also use an ssh tunnel, which would provide many of the same
benefits.

If it comes down to trust of the source code that you're receiving,
you're in a pretty bad position.  You either have to trust that the 300+
committers know what they're doing or manually review each diff.  :-(

-Dom