SSL wrapping or SSH tunnelling? Which is more secure?

Aidan Skinner aidan at velvet.net
Wed Aug 21 17:16:04 BST 2002

On Tue, Aug 20, 2002 at 10:55:08AM +0100, Pete French wrote

> Ou of interest, how do you do the ssh forwarding ? I've not yet found the
> magic combination of arguments to let me set up a permentnet tunnel without
> something running on the far end. At the moment thats a shell script which
> sleeps 10 minutes and then dies. Any alternative suggestions ?

I do ssh -f -N -P -L xxxx:foo.bar.com:xxxx baz.bar.com to tunnel
various things, it's kept open an irc server for me for the last 2
weeks without needing to be restarted...

this is with protocol 2 and public key auth (also ssh-agent'd, but
none of that should be relevant)

- Aidan

--
aidan at velvet.net  http://www.velvet.net/~aidan/  aim:aidans42
finger for pgp key fingerprint |- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -