Ports Collection

Jonathan Dean jon.dean at deanuk.net
Wed Aug 21 00:23:11 BST 2002

--=====================_43662653==.ALT

Hi All,
Another quick question:
I'm fairly new to FreeBSD. If I've installed a program from the ports
collection and i want to update it (for security patches etc) can i just
download the new ports collection and do 'make', 'make install' again? I
assume this will work as it will just recompile and then overwrite the old
binaries.
Or is there another way to update?
I've searched on the net but everywhere just deals with installing.
TIA,
Jon

---
Jonathan Dean
jon.dean at deanuk.net     www.jondean.com

Dept. Computer Science, University of Exeter, UK.
j.s.dean at ex.ac.uk       www.dcs.ex.ac.uk

Network Manager, Dean UK Networks.
root at deanuk.net www.deanuk.net

--=====================_43662653==.ALT

Hi All,<br>
Another quick question:<br>
I'm fairly new to FreeBSD. If I've installed a program from the ports
collection and i want to update it (for security patches etc) can i just
download the new ports collection and do 'make', 'make install' again? I
assume this will work as it will just recompile and then overwrite the
old binaries.<br>
Or is there another way to update?<br>
I've searched on the net but everywhere just deals with installing.<br>
TIA,<br>
Jon<br>
<x-sigsep><p></x-sigsep>
<b>Jonathan Dean<br>
Dept. Computer Science, University of Exeter, UK.<br>
Network Manager, Dean UK Networks.<br>