Segmentation fault

Jon Mercer jon at trojan-heroes.co.uk
Tue Aug 20 17:33:05 BST 2002

Ok, I'm gonna show my ignorance here...

I've got a segmentation fault running fsck on some poorly unmounted file
systems - sad fact is there should have been no good reason for them to
have been so poorly unmounted except for a few system crashes that I seem
to be getting more and more frequently until I can no longer boot the box
:-( So far I've seen one page fault (I though this was an indicator of a
RAM fault, but?) get generated at crash time, but didn't have the ability
to note everything down.

Yup, I've got big problems!

What I need to know is what might be causing a segmentation fault like
this. My _guess_ is a hardware fault, but I can't rule out a remote attack
entirely - does anyone know of such an attack?

The hardware I have is:

Supermicro DB6BE m/b (dual CPU with PC100 RAM)
2 Intel PII 400 MHz CPUs
Adaptec 2490U2W Scsi controller
3 IBM Scsi disks

I've been busily swapping out RAM modules, but with little effect, unless
they both have a fault (not impossible), they seem to be ok.

What I can't rule out is any other kind of hardware failure. The bios
checks for the RAM and the Scsi card run through fine, but I can't get the
box to boot. I've made no changes to the kernel in months, system running
is 4.5

If anyone has some ideas, or has seen this before, I'd be very grateful to
know.

Cheers,

Jon