USB/Serial adapter

Jose Marques noway at nohow.demon.co.uk
Sat Aug 17 16:11:43 BST 2002

On Fri, 16 Aug 2002, Josef Karthauser wrote:

[Snip]
> Which driver does NetBSD use?  I've recently ported some usb serial
> drivers to -stable, but there are a few more that haven't been ported to
> -current yet.  Is it one of these?

To those that responded to my email many thanks for the pointers.  After
some more searching I found a supplier (www.simply.co.uk) that stocked one
of the devices listed in the uplcom man page, an ATEN UC-232A.  It took a
bit of fiddling to get it to work so here is a summary of what I did.

Starting with a system that already had USB configured.

1) Upgrade to the latest STABLE (I think the ucom stuff is quite recent)

2) Add the following to the kernel config and make a new kernel:

	device          ucom
	device          uplcom

NB. modules exist so you could kldload them instead.

3) Make the devices

	cd /dev
	./MAKEDEV ucom
	./MAKEDEV usb1

My system has two USB controllers (the MAKEDEV usb1 makes usb0 and usb1)

4) Enabled usbd in rc.conf

	usbd_enable="YES"

It then worked.  I just plug in the ATEN and start my serial programs with
/dev/ucom as the serial device.  Unfortunately VMware seems unable to use
this device.

--
Jose Marques