Trying to boot freeBSD

Dominic Clifton mjpiidc2 at stud.umist.ac.uk
Thu Aug 15 18:25:00 BST 2002

Hi.

I am very new to FreeBSD and UNIX as a whole. Anyway, we have a couple of old
computers in our lab that used to run windows 95 and can't cope with windows 98.
So I thought I give FreeBSD a bash. I downloaded most of the files via FTP and
got the usal "Congratulations on installing FreeBSD" etc, after which I was told
to reboot. Intially it all seemed fine, then the last few lines that are srolled
on booting up, state:

Mounting root from ufs:/dev/ad0s1a
no such device 'ad'
setrootbyname failed
ffs_mountroot: can't find rootvp
Root mountfailed: 6

Manual root filesystem specification:

                     e.g. ufs:/dev/da0s1a
   ?                 List valid diskboot devices
   <empty line>      Abort manual input
   mountroot>

Any ideas would be appreciated as I am new to this.

Cheers

Dom.

--
Corrosion & Protection Centre, UMIST, P.O. Box 88, Manchester, M60 1QD.