ADSL modem for FreeBSD?

Neil Ford neil at nubenu.com
Wed Aug 14 06:59:09 BST 2002

On 13/8/02 11:24 pm, "Mark Hughes" <mh_lists at digitalspy.co.uk> wrote:

>> I'm about to buy an ADSL modem and wondered if anyone knew which ones work
>> with FreeBSD? Is there a list somewhere, or has any of you had positive
>> experiences with a particular make/model?
>
> The alcatel speedtouch USB thingy works with FreeBSD using pppoa (i think)
> in ports.... worked a treat for me for most of the last year, apart from
> dodgy usb behaviour by my motherboard (i blame VIA for being pants with a
> capitol P for USB chipsets...).
>
> If i were doing it again though, i'd get an external, standalone ADSL modem
> that gave a nice ethernet interface on it's internal side, then OS support
> is unimportant.
>
> Mark

I'd agree with Mark, don't go down the USB route if you don't have too.

Good sources of kit are http://www.solwise.co.uk and
http://www.dslsource.co.uk

Not used Solwise personally but have had good reports about the SAR 703 and
it's 4 port bigger brother. DLink kit is very good as is supposedly the
Alcatel router. SMC is another one to consider though they do have an
alarming habit of leaving the admin password box precompleted!

Neil.
--
Neil Ford
neil at nubenu.com | neil at ourshack.com