Suitable ATX motherboard for FreeBSD server

James Diss James at reftech.co.uk
Mon Apr 29 09:18:00 BST 2002

In message <27205.1019931817 at xciv.org>, Paul Civati <paul at xciv.org>
writes
>>I would steer clear of AMD processors for a server, and go with Intel.
>>
>>tomshardware.com did an interesting test on AMD and Intel processors,
>>highlighting that AMD processors do not have good thermal shutdown
>>compared to Intel, so if your processor heat sink/fan fails then your
>>AMD CPU will melt down, quite literally.  Intel CPUs simply slow down
>>or shut down safely.
>
>Too much has been made of this.

http://www6.tomshardware.com/column/01q4/011029/index.html

The other interesting point that I discussed with someone recently was
that there is a significant amount of hardware that is dead on the
shelves out there, and nothing can save you from a thermal protection
system that isn't working in the first place.

---