A dumb question

Dominic Marks dominic_marks at btinternet.com
Tue Apr 16 13:26:18 BST 2002

On Tue, Apr 16, 2002 at 01:19:58PM +0000, Phil Richardson wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Im quite okay with UNIX (lots of development time etc - and I teach about
> it) and relatively okay with Xwindows. Recently treated myself to an optical
> mouse with a USB interface. Its all standard gear - MS Mouse (it was the
> cheapest which was a suprise).
>
> Now although the kernel see's the USB port and see's the mouse, and the
> mouse daemon starts up (and recognises the mouse as an MS mouse) I
> cannot get the thing to be seen by X-windows. What am I doing wrong ? I
> followed the instructions as supplied by freebsd.org on the use of USB
> mice - but /dev/mouse just dont give anything back in return.
>
> Has anyone come across this problem and managed to resolve it.... ?
>
> Many thanks to those who respond - and sorry if the answer is in a recent
> post - I sometimes dont read them :(

:) I think you could say that for everyone at one time or another.

In my /etc/X11/XF86Config I have the following:

Section "InputDevice"
 Identifier "Mouse0"
 Driver "mouse"
 Option "Protocol" "auto"
 Option "Device" "/dev/sysmouse"
 Option "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"
EndSection

That uses moused, and enables the wheel.

In /etc/rc.conf I have this:

moused_enable="YES"
moused_port="/dev/ums0"

It all, "Just Works" (tm)

> Phil
>
> Phil Richardson, Senior Lecturer
>                  Department of Computing and Communications
>                  University of Lincolnshire & Humberside
>
> prichardson at humber.ac.uk
> Tel: 01482 463616

HTH