A dumb question

Phil Richardson prichardson at lincoln.ac.uk
Tue Apr 16 14:19:58 BST 2002

Hi,

Im quite okay with UNIX (lots of development time etc - and I teach about
it) and relatively okay with Xwindows. Recently treated myself to an optical
mouse with a USB interface. Its all standard gear - MS Mouse (it was the
cheapest which was a suprise).

Now although the kernel see's the USB port and see's the mouse, and the
mouse daemon starts up (and recognises the mouse as an MS mouse) I
cannot get the thing to be seen by X-windows. What am I doing wrong ? I
followed the instructions as supplied by freebsd.org on the use of USB
mice - but /dev/mouse just dont give anything back in return.

Has anyone come across this problem and managed to resolve it.... ?

Many thanks to those who respond - and sorry if the answer is in a recent
post - I sometimes dont read them :(

Phil

Phil Richardson, Senior Lecturer
                 Department of Computing and Communications
                 University of Lincolnshire & Humberside

prichardson at humber.ac.uk
Tel: 01482 463616