ADSL routing with 8 IPs using a SpeedTouch USB + FreeBSD - Possible?

Brian Somers brian at freebsd-services.com
Mon Apr 15 11:20:33 BST 2002

> I've just found an ISP that offers wires-only 8 IP ADSL, and I already
> have BTOpenworld Home 500 plus a SpeedTouch USB and a FreeBSD NAT
> gateway. When my contract with BTO runs out, I'm told I can keep the
> filter box and SpeedTouch USB, and freely skip over to a better ISP. My
> plan is to alter the current setup so that I have a DMZ with some
> FreeBSD servers in it, each having a static IP, as well as good old NAT
> serving up the net to my home PCs. Firstly, does anyone know if the
> SpeedTouch software minds handling lots of IP's, or, as my intuition
> tells me, are the drivers between level 1 and 2 of the OSI model anyway,
> leaving FreeBSD's TCP/IP stack to do whatever it pleases? If it is
> theoretically possible, how would I go about instructing FreeBSD to
> route packets bound for the different IP's to my DMZ network?

As you suspect, it should just work if you tweak your ppp config to
use one of the IPs as the local address - the same address as is on
your DMZ NIC - and then set gateway_enable=YES in rc.conf.

--
Brian <brian at freebsd-services.com>                <brian at Awfulhak.org>
      http://www.freebsd-services.com/        <brian@[uk.]FreeBSD.org>