[fwd] Re: AMD vs. Intel

Neil Ford neil at ourshack.com
Fri Sep 28 10:56:04 BST 2001

Must fix mutt to set the To: back to the list :-(

Neil.

----- Forwarded message from Neil Ford <neil at ourshack.com> -----

Date: Fri, 28 Sep 2001 08:05:59 +0100
From: Neil Ford <neil at ourshack.com>
To: James McGuire <j.a.mcguire at btinternet.com>
Subject: Re: AMD vs. Intel

On Thu, Sep 27, 2001 at 11:27:08PM +0100, James McGuire wrote:
> Following up on the whole cheapy server scene:
>
> Does anyone have any advice on the whole AMD vs. Intel sentiment? People have told me to stay away from AMDs as far as servers go. I'm told they overheat. If I went for a low spec duron, surely it would be ok? Are they reliable?
>
> Anyone got any experience with AMDs in servers?

Yep, loads. We have a fair number of boxes in at customers all running Durons
or Athlons 24/7 and they are fine. In actual fact we exclusively use AMD
processors in all the boxes we supply. Seeing at the 1.4Ghz Athlon out
performs the 1.6Ghz Pentium 4, we think it's the right choice, others might
disagree.

As with all processors, get the cooling right (quality of components is key)
and you won't have any problems.... and don't be tempted to overclock it :-)

Neil.
--
Neil C. Ford
Managing Director, Yet Another Computer Solutions Company Limited
neil at yacsc.com

----- End forwarded message -----

neil at yacsc.com