[fwd] Re: Your Advice: Low Grade/Cost Server Parts

Neil Ford neil at ourshack.com
Fri Sep 28 09:59:52 BST 2001

----- Forwarded message from Neil Ford <neil at ourshack.com> -----

Date: Fri, 28 Sep 2001 07:58:51 +0100
From: Neil Ford <neil at ourshack.com>
To: Aled Morris <aledm at qix.co.uk>
Subject: Re: Your Advice: Low Grade/Cost Server Parts

On Fri, Sep 28, 2001 at 12:59:06AM +0100, Aled Morris wrote:
> On Fri, 28 Sep 2001, Paul Richards wrote:
>
> >They're also designed to be quiet rather than cool and they get turned off
> >periodically and so can cool down. In a colo that's a very different
> >matter, noise is not an issue at all but cpoling is and heat dissipation
> >can be a significant consideration.
>

> Couldn't agree more.  Whatever you do, go out and buy an extra case fan or
> two.  You'll find that your cheap PC case even has the aperatures cut
> ready for the fans, but the cheapskates who put the system together never
> fitted any, relying instead just on the fan in the PSU and the one on the
> CPU, with no airflow through the case.  I'd suggest a through flow, one
> fan at the front sucking air in and the other blowing it out.
>
> Some colo sites can be a heat nightmare with dozens of systems in a
> confined space gasping for cool air!  Only the fittest (i.e. the best
> equipped) survive.
>
> Dell make a server for £500 + VAT (Poweredge 500SC)  -  I wonder what
> design compromises they made to get the price down so low?

A number :-) Had someone looking at these and I suggested they thing again.
Biggest problem is that they are only available as tower cases which unless
you are going in to Mailbox will be costly in a colo that's charging by the U.

Personally I'd go for a 1U box from Digital Networks (http://www.dnuk.com)
though it will be twice the cost of the original quoted price, or talk to
FreeBSD Services and get them to build you one.

Oh yeah.... don't use Mailbox for your colo.

Neil.
--
Neil C. Ford
Managing Director, Yet Another Computer Solutions Company Limited
neil at yacsc.com

----- End forwarded message -----

neil at yacsc.com