Your Advice: Low Grade/Cost Server Parts

Paul Richards paul at freebsd-services.com
Fri Sep 28 00:48:22 BST 2001

--On Thursday, September 27, 2001 23:57:34 +0100 stu at spacehopper.org wrote:

>> To that end, I've hit a rut, do I compromise reliability for low cost.
>> So I'm looking for some advice.
>>
> If there's two things to try and not skimp on, it's the PSU and fan (ball
> bearing if possible!). Intel 810/810e/815/815e based mobo's are dirt

Yeah, I didn't mention PSU and fan and I should have. Don't go for a cheap
case that includes a PSU because it will be worthless. Not all PSU's are
the same but you don't realise that until your machine fails in totally
unexplainable ways when it's loaded or gets hot.

There's also an issue with cheap or rather, consumer oriented cases.
They're not designed to run 24x7 so the cooling isn't always adequate.
They're also designed to be quiet rather than cool and they get turned off
periodically and so can cool down. In a colo that's a very different
matter, noise is not an issue at all but cpoling is and heat dissipation
can be a significant consideration.

Paul Richards
FreeBSD Services Ltd
http://www.freebsd-services.com