AMD vs. Intel

Mark Hughes mark at dvdnews.co.uk
Thu Sep 27 23:33:08 BST 2001

I think the rule pretty much is that they are comparable so long as the
cooling doesn't fail. If your cooling fails, a Duron/Athlon will catch
fire, a P3 will crash but survive, and a P4 will just slow down. If you
spend enough on a fan and make sure it's attached properly, you should have
no problems with AMD processors, but depending on ease of access to the
box, and the importance placed on uptime, this could be an important
factor.

That said if you want to scare yourself into using Intel, head on over to
http://www.tomshardware.com/ and take a look at their recent feature on how
the different processors cope with the cooling failures.

Mark