Your Advice: Low Grade/Cost Server Parts

Paul Richards paul at freebsd-services.com
Thu Sep 27 21:22:12 BST 2001

--On Thursday, September 27, 2001 20:01:55 +0100 James McGuire
<j.a.mcguire at btinternet.com> wrote:

>=20
> Hi Chaps=20
>  =20
> I'm trying to build myself a low spec FreeBSD server for co-location down
> south. As I'm a northerner - and a pretty poor one at that, it needs to
> be reliable so I'm not having to go down and fix it every 2 minutes.   =20
> To that end, I've hit a rut, do I compromise reliability for low cost. So
> I'm looking for some advice. Namely your personal preferrences on
> brands/models/cheap places to buy.   =20
> I'll give you a rough idea of what I'm hoping to put together.=20
>  =20
> Intel Celeron II 733Mhz=20
> Appropriate Motherboard (no frills)=20
> 256MB RAM=20
> Cheapy NIC=20
> Cheapy Graphics=20
> Desktop ATX Case=20
> 20GB HDD=20
> Heat Sink + Fan=20
> "3.5 Floppy=20
> Keyboard=20
>  =20
> I've managed to sum that up at about =A3300 quid - can anyone beat that?
> Any advice much appreciated.   =20
> Thanks in advance=20

300 quid is pretty cheap. I'd be reluctant to use a 300 quid box in a colo
setup.

You should go with a quality motherboard/disk/memory/NIC. It might push the
price up a hundred or two but that's not much more than your train ticket
the first time you have to go and fix the thing.

If the extra needed for a good box is an issue then you should consider it
against the service you're looking to house on the box and the cost of that
service failing.

Paul Richards
FreeBSD Services Ltd
http://www.freebsd-services.com