Your Advice: Low Grade/Cost Server Parts

Aled Morris aledm at qix.co.uk
Thu Sep 27 20:47:29 BST 2001

On Thu, 27 Sep 2001, James McGuire wrote:

>I'm trying to build myself a low spec FreeBSD server for co-location
>down south.

[Advert Opportunity: I sell co-lo in Telehouse which is fast and cheap!]

>I've managed to sum that up at about =A3300 quid - can anyone beat that?
>Any advice much appreciated.

I'm amazed how much you can get ready-built nowadays.  I think it might
be cheaper now to buy a ready-built than make your own.

There a magazine that looks like exchange and mart called I think "Micro
Mart" that has adverts from fly-by-night PC companies that have really
good prices.

Even the big well known companies are offering good deals, I was thinking
of replacing my aging home PC with one from Watford Electronics
(www.watford.co.uk)  Here's an extract from their advert:

Celeron 800, MSi motherboard, 128MB PC133 RAM, video and sound onboard,
52x CD-ROM, V.92 modem (presumably useless), 10/100 Ethernet, 200W PSU
mini tower case, floppy disk drive, 20GB HDD (presumably 5200rpm)

All that for =A3255.28 + VAT and you get a year's on-site warranty.

I have no relationship with Watford, and I'd welcome any comments others
might have if you have shopped with them (good?  bad?) before I send off
my money!

Aled
--=20
        ++  Amazingly cheap server hosting in Telehouse, London  ++
        ++             http://www.qix.co.uk/colo/                ++