How dial out as user

Ben Paley rambhai at harpincher.freeserve.co.uk
Thu Sep 27 07:19:38 BST 2001

Can anyone point me in the right direction regarding dialing out as
user.  I am able to edit and setup ppp.conf as root, but am not able to
dial out as user.  It's probably some sort of permissions thing, but I
can't find any information in the man pages.  At least none that I can
understand.  Any help much appreciated.

Yeah, two steps should do it. First, put a line in ppp.conf

allow user ben

except you put your user name instead of "ben", obviously. Then you add
yourself as a member of the network group, by putting your user name on the
end of the network line in .etc/groups. I learnt that recently on this list;
until then I was changing permissions of /usr/sbin/ppp which, apparently, can
be a security hole.
	Cheers,
	Ben