How dial out as user

Stuart Henderson stu at spacehopper.org
Wed Sep 26 15:04:44 BST 2001

> Can anyone point me in the right direction regarding dialing out as
> user.  I am able to edit and setup ppp.conf as root, but am not able to
> dial out as user.  It's probably some sort of permissions thing, but I
> can't find any information in the man pages.  At least none that I can
> understand.  Any help much appreciated.

Add any users who want to be able to dial to group "network" (in
/etc/groups). Group changes take place at next login (i.e. if you are
logged in as the user when you change the group, you need to log out
and back in again). And, add "allow users <yourname>" to ppp.conf,
either in Default or the relevant section. (You can use * to allow
all users).

Hope this helps,
-Stu