Automatic file system check failed ... help

Thomas Beauchamp thomas at noproblem.net
Wed Sep 26 05:05:06 BST 2001

Hi!

I have two SCSI disks from a FreeBSD 4.2 machine I would like to add
into a FreeBSD 4.0 machine. The idea being that the FreeBSD 4.2 machine
experienced a kind of crash (disk partly erased due to a typo) and I
would like to 'see' what can be retrieved from these disks ...

On the 'old' machine the file system was:

<quote>
/dev/da1s1a  /
/dev/da0s1e  /home
/dev/da1s1e  /var
<unquote>

On the 'new' machine it is:

<quote>
/dev/ad0s1a  /      ufs  rw  2  2
/dev/ad0s1f  /usr   ufs  rw  2  2
<unquote>

I have added the following entries in /etc/fstab:

<quote>
/dev/da1s1a  /zeus0  ufs  ro  2  2
/dev/da0s1e  /zeus1  ufs  ro  2  2
/dev/da1s1e  /zeus2  ufs  ro  2  2
<unquote>

But when I reboot, I get:

<quote>
Can't stat /dev/da1s1a: no such file or directory
Can't stat /dev/da0s1e: no such file or directory
Can't stat /dev/da1s1e: no such file or directory

Can't stat /dev/da1s1a: no such file or directory
/dev/da1s1a: CAN'T CHECK FILE SYSTEM
/dev/da1s1a: UNEXPECTED INCONSISTENCY;
             RUN fsck MANUALLY

Can't stat /dev/da1s1e: no such file or directory
/dev/da0s1e: CAN'T CHECK FILE SYSTEM
/dev/da0s1e: UNEXPECTED INCONSISTENCY;
             RUN fsck MANUALLY

Can't stat /dev/da1s1e: no such file or directory
/dev/da1s1e: CAN'T CHECK FILE SYSTEM
/dev/da1s1e: UNEXPECTED INCONSISTENCY;
             RUN fsck MANUALLY

THE FOLLOWING FILE SYSTEM HAD AN UNEXPECTED INCONSISTENCY:
/dev/da1s1a (/zeus0), /dev/da0s1e (/zeus1), /dev/da1s1e (/zeus2)

Automatic file system check failed ... help
<unquote>

I've lost '/dev/ad0s1f' and '/dev/ad0s1a' is read-only ....

Help, please!

Any help, all help welcome!

roboTomas