Help! NIMDA

Brian Somers brian at freebsd-services.com
Thu Sep 20 02:08:29 BST 2001

> On Wed, Sep 19, 2001 at 05:56:21PM +0100, Thomas Beauchamp wrote:
> > Hi!
> >=20
> > On my FreeBSD  4.2 server, logged as 'root', I type by mistake following
> > command:
> >=20
> > rm -R / *.eml
> >=20
> > What is the extent of the damage, please.
> >=20
> > It looks as if almost everything is erased.
>
> Whoops.  It's not going to be easy to fix.  Will almost definitely
> require a reinstall.
>
> It _may_ be possible to recover some of the data, but I don't know
> off the top of my head whether there are any tools around for that.

Indeed.  This is the electronic equivalent to blowing your foot off
with a sawn-off shotgun and asking if there's any way of walking
again.

The answer is yes, but you'll need to get yourself a new foot (or
restore your foot from a backup).

--
Brian <brian at freebsd-services.com>                <brian at Awfulhak.org>
      http://www.freebsd-services.com/        <brian@[uk.]FreeBSD.org>