qmail and reverse lookups

Jonathan Belson jon at witchspace.com
Thu Sep 13 21:03:03 BST 2001

Hiya

I run qmail on my server which I use as a mail posting host.  If
the recipient mail server does a reverse lookup on the sending
host to check it's authenticity (in my case 'dookie.local') it
not suprisingly doesn't find it and rejects my mail.

216.136.204.18 does not like recipient.
Remote host said: 450 <dookie.local>: Helo command rejected: Host not
found
Giving up on 216.136.204.18.

How can I get qmail to give a convincing host name when connecting
to a remote mail server?  NTL don't give me a permanent internet-wide
host (apart from pc1-reda3-0-cust222.bre.cable.ntl.com, but that could
change since I'm on DHCP) so I dont see how user or host masquerading
could help (without supplying a valid false hostname).

--
C-YA
Jon

<http://www.witchspace.com>