dcopserver?

Ben Paley rambhai at harpincher.freeserve.co.uk
Thu Sep 13 12:41:29 BST 2001

Hello,
	I just installed 4.4rc4, recompiled my kernel, and since then have
encountered a strange phenomenon.
	The first time I do
startx
	Kde doesn't start properly: I get a box saying
There was an error setting up inter-process communication for KDE. The
message returned by the server was:
Could not read network connection list.
/root/.DCOPserver__:0
Please check that the "dcopserver" program is running!
	Next time I try, it starts fine (and for other users, too) until I reboot,
when this happens again. There is no man page for dcopserver, but when I try
to run it I get a message saying
Aborting. $DISPLAY not set.
	Obviously this is an inconvenience rather than a massive problem, still...
any ideas? Do I need to set DISPLAY as an environment variable? I don't
really understand how they work. Do I need to put a line in .bashrc (I'm
using bash)? I don't even /have/ a .bashrc.
	Thanks a lot for your help,
	Ben