Newbie needs help with ppp

Brian Somers brian at freebsd-services.com
Wed Sep 12 22:36:35 BST 2001

> I,ve set up ppp, after numerous attempts, and I can dial out as root from
> /etc/ppp/ by typing the command "ppp" followed by "dial ISP". However I
> can't dial out as user.  I know that to access the web as root is
> dangerous.  Can someone on this group advise me?

You should be able to add ``allow user fred'' to the necessary
profile in /etc/ppp/ppp.conf and make the user(s) a member of group
network in /etc/group.  See the man page for more details.

You need to log out & in to see the results of changing /etc/group.

It's safer to run ppp as a user than to run it as root, but only as
far as direct attacks on the ppp process itself are concerned.
Andy's advice (the other follow-up to your posting) is correct.

--
Brian <brian at freebsd-services.com>                <brian at Awfulhak.org>
      http://www.freebsd-services.com/        <brian@[uk.]FreeBSD.org>