Newbie needs help with ppp

Andrew McKay birminghamweb at freeuk.com
Wed Sep 12 21:19:25 BST 2001

On Wed, 12 Sep 2001, p_f_james wrote:

PFJ> I,ve set up ppp, after numerous attempts, and I can dial out as root from
PFJ> /etc/ppp/ by typing the command "ppp" followed by "dial ISP". However I
PFJ> can't dial out as user.  I know that to access the web as root is
PFJ> dangerous.  Can someone on this group advise me?

Hmmm.  I have no experience of this but I do know from others that it is
possible.  A note about the security, which others may see fit to correct
me on.  As far as I know it's not a bad thing to establish a ppp
connection as root but it IS a bad thing to be running programs such as
chat/im clients and other internet clients as root.  If I am mistaken in
this then if someone could let me know then so I can stop using ppp as
root? ;-p

Andy

--
Andrew McKay <birminghamweb at freeuk.com>
Giving Birmingham a good name...or something :)