Serial Ports & APC UPSs

Simon Griffiths simon.g at claycrossbs.co.uk
Mon Oct 29 12:00:14 GMT 2001

Hi guys, Hope you all well.

I've just taken delivery of a number of APC SmartUps 1500's (Little black
boxes) for our main servers.  Since there are plenty of spare serial outlets
and power sockets going free I thought I'd hook them upto our two internal
FreeBSD servers but I've run into a couple of problems.

Having tried /usr/ports/sysutils/upsmon, upsd and nut I'm starting to feel
somewhat tired and now could do with some advice, what do you guys use to
monitor ups's ?

upsmon was great until it started to segfault, upon restarting it ignored
the ups and moaned.  UPSd would work sometimes and then not others and nut's
drivers dont want to talk to the ups, I'm figuring this is a serial port
issue.  I've also got APC's own powerchute software which I was hoping to
get going under linux emulation but that also moans about input/output
errors on the serial port.

My test box is a -current install and once tested will be moved onto two
4.4-STABLE machines.

So, what do you guys use ?

TIA,

Si.
--
Simon Griffiths
Systems Administrator - Clay Cross Building Society