FreeBSD and BT Internet

Brian Somers brian at freebsd-services.com
Wed Oct 24 12:31:58 BST 2001

> Graham Hamblin wrote:
> >
> > Hiyer Jeff
> >
> > BTInternet are using chap log in and adding the following in your
> > /etc/ppp directory did the trick for me:
> >
> > Edit chap-secrets to include a line for example:
> >
> > ghamblin at btinternet.com         *       and your current password

chap-secrets is a pppd file AFAIK.  ppp(8) doesn't read it.

> > You may also need to create a file /etc/ppp.options which in my case
> > contained the following line:
> >
> > auth    noauth

Again, this is a pppd(8) file, not ppp(8).

> > I also created /etc/resolv.conf as follows:
> >
> > domain BTInternet.com
> > search BTInternet.com
> > nameserver 194.73.73.94
> > nameserver 194.73.73.95
> > nameserver194.72.6.57

Yes, putting the nameservers in resolv.conf manually is necessary
with BTInternet as the ones that their ppp servers negotiate are....
interesting!  They provide NS records that are more than a year out
of date.

Of course the above file should be fixed (there's a missing space,
and both domain and search shouldn't be used at the same time - in
fact, I'd suggest neither should be used for a one-machine setup).

> > If you look on BTInternet there is a Linux section of faqs which is what
> > I have worked from.   I had BSD 4.4 on here for a couple of days last
> > weekend but could not set the printer up so for the time being I have
> > gone back to Linux.

Ah, this explains why you're doing pppd(8) stuff instead of ppp(8) :*)

WRT the printer, I'd suggest apsfilter (from the ports).  I don't use
it myself, but it's supposed to be good.

> > All the very best
> > Graham
> >
> > Jeff LaCoursiere wrote:
> > >
> > > Greetings,
> > >
> > > I am new to the UK - just arrived from Texas, USA and am now living in
> > > Lewisham, London.
> > >
> > > I have signed on with BT Internet's unlimited 15 pound deal and have my
> > > windows laptop running on it, but would like to get my FreeBSD 4.4 machine
> > > running NAT and user mode PPP on demand.  I had this running great in
> > > Texas through my provider there, but am having trouble here with BT.
> > >
> > > I don't seem to get any PPP negotiation from the BT side.  Have even tried
> > > manually dialling with "term" in the interactive mode, and I get
> > > connected, but no data after that.  If I use ~p I get the interactive
> > > prompt back, but the ppp prompt doesn't change as it normally would as
> > > negotiation occurs.  Am I missing something stupid?
> > >
> > > TIA,
> > >
> > > Jeff LaCoursiere
> > > jeff at jeff.net
[.....]