Time Synchronisation

Aled Morris aledm at qix.co.uk
Tue Oct 23 12:18:17 BST 2001

On Tue, 23 Oct 2001, Steve Greenshaw wrote:

>I run a variety of FreeBSD boxes, from 3.4 to 4.4. I have one of these using ntpd to sync with an
>NTP stratum 1 server and then use 'ntpdate myntp.mydomain.com' as a regular cron job to keep the
>other boxes near enough in time (absolute accuracy is not needed).

Why not just run ntpd on these other boxes, seems like a lot less effort.
You could broadcast NTP updates and use "broadcastclient", or just
"server myntp".

They could peer with each other to keep in sync if they lose the master
too.

> Recently however I see this
>error:
>
>no server suitable for synchronization found

It means the server myntp.mydomain.com isn't synced.

Run "ntpdc -c peer" to view the status (post the output if you like)

Aled
--
        ++  Amazingly cheap server hosting in Telehouse, London  ++
        ++             http://www.qix.co.uk/colo/                ++