changing hard disks

Nik Clayton nik at freebsd.org
Fri Oct 19 10:43:21 BST 2001

--4cc5A3vHqXJ2PrmM

On Thu, Oct 18, 2001 at 10:24:10PM +0100, Ben Paley wrote:
> I'm getting a 40Gb disk in a few days to replace a 1.6Gb disk as Primary=
=20
> Slave. At the moment I'm running BSD and windows both from the master dis=
k,=20
> and my intention is to put BSD onto the new one. Can I do this without=20
> reinstalling? And how do I go about it?

If your first disk is going to continue to host Windows and FreeBSD then
this is trivial.

Install the second disk, then boot FreeBSD.  It should see it as
/dev/ad1.  Then follow the steps at

  http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/disks-adding.ht=
ml

to slice and partition the disk (section 12.3.2.1 should just work for
you).

If you want to use the first disk entirely for Windows, and migrate all
the BSD stuff to the second disk then your best bet is to do a fresh
FreeBSD install on to the second disk.  Boot in to the new install, and
then mount the partitions on the smaller disk.  Copy any files you need
over to the bigger disk.  Then boot Windows/DOS, and run fdisk.exe to
delete the FreeBSD slice on the smaller disk and replace it with a
Windows one.

--=20
FreeBSD: The Power to Serve             http://www.freebsd.org/
FreeBSD Documentation Project           http://www.freebsd.org/docproj/

          --- 15B8 3FFC DDB4 34B0 AA5F  94B7 93A8 0764 2C37 E375 ---

--4cc5A3vHqXJ2PrmM

--4cc5A3vHqXJ2PrmM--