changing hard disks

Paul Richards paul at freebsd-services.com
Fri Oct 19 10:15:04 BST 2001

--On Friday, October 19, 2001 09:35:45 +0100 Simon Griffiths
<simon.g at claycrossbs.co.uk> wrote:

> Hi,

dd is no good because it does a low level copy, What you'll end up with is
a 1.6Gb disk image overlayed across the front of your 40GB disk, which
almost certainly isn't what you want.

You need to partition your 40GB disk first.

I'd suggest using sysinstall to partition the 40GB drive. I'd recommend you
disconnect your current drive, boot off an install CD and then do the
partitioning. I *don't* recommend leaving your current drive connected when
you do this because unless you're very careful sysinstall will wipe it for
you.

Then use dump/restore to move the files from your old disk to your new disk.

Paul Richards
FreeBSD Services Ltd
http://www.freebsd-services.com