FreeBSD gateway sharing Telewest cable modem - anyone?

Nik Clayton nik at freebsd.org
Sat Oct 6 18:37:28 BST 2001

--f8lmXUvqnCdFQPaI

On Sat, Oct 06, 2001 at 02:28:11PM +0100, Mark Hughes wrote:
> Few questions - has anyone used a freebsd box connected to the BlueYonder
> cable modem service? Anything I should know about getting it set up or is
> it just a case of plug it in and it works?

I'm using it now.  The main problem is having to lie to BY support when
you call up their support line to report a fault and say "Why yes, of
course I'm running Windows".

> Email proxying - I want to download email from a number of different email
> accounts through POP, then file them into mailboxes on the freebsd machin=
e,
> so that then the windows clients inside can use POP or IMAP to get to the=
m.
> It's the first step of downloading the emails from the pop accoutns to the
> freebsd box that I'm wondering about - any pointers as to where I could
> start with this? The rest should be easy enough using procmail, maybe with
> popper or whatever it's called.

ports/mail/fetchmail.

I run fetchmail from cron on the gateway box.  The config looks like
this:

    poll ngo.org.uk protocol apop username <name> password <pass>
    poll pop3.demon.co.uk protocol pop3 username <name> password <pass>

> Web filtering - prob going to use squid+squidguard - anyone using these?
> any other things you would suggest? Basically one of the windows boxes is
> in an 11yr olds room, and this needs to have it's web access filtered to
> remove anything and everything even slightly dodgy. The other clients can
> have full unrestricted web access. It seems squidguard can do this but
> relies on lists of bad sites, rather than actually filtering based on
> content. Opinions anyone?

Content based filtering is hard.

If it were my kid, I'd sit down and have a talk with him about using the
'net responsibly instead.

Don't bother trying to use Squid as a cache -- BY already proxy all your
web traffic through their caches anyway.

> I'm planning to use, I think, IPFW and NATD to do the firewalling and
> connection sharing - I've used IPFW before without any problems, and NATD
> seems easy enough.

/etc/rc.firewall works pretty much out of the box.  IIRC you need to
tweak the rules a bit because you're actually getting a dynamic IP
address from BY.  It changes very infrequently though.

--=20
FreeBSD: The Power to Serve             http://www.freebsd.org/
FreeBSD Documentation Project           http://www.freebsd.org/docproj/

          --- 15B8 3FFC DDB4 34B0 AA5F  94B7 93A8 0764 2C37 E375 ---

--f8lmXUvqnCdFQPaI

--f8lmXUvqnCdFQPaI--