FreeBSD gateway sharing Telewest cable modem - anyone?

Aled Morris aledm at qix.co.uk
Sat Oct 6 15:53:33 BST 2001

On Sat, 6 Oct 2001, Mark Hughes wrote:

>Email proxying - I want to download email from a number of different email
>accounts through POP,

fetchmail is the tool for this job, with qpopper for reading mail.

>Web filtering - prob going to use squid+squidguard - anyone using these?

I've used Squid a lot - it works extremely well. I have one box out there
that has a P-III/500 with 512MB ram and 3 x 9GB SCSI disks that serves
1.5 million objects per day without problem.

Dunno about squidguard.

> Basically one of the windows boxes is
>in an 11yr olds room, and this needs to have it's web access filtered to
>remove anything and everything even slightly dodgy.
>[...] Opinions anyone?

My opinion is that you will fail in this goal.  Children are very
resourceful and have a lot more time on their hands than you do.  They
will find a way round any blocks you put in place.  They will get up to
things that you can't even imagine (and hence won't have thought of
blocking - for example, you can run PPP over all sorts of bizarre
transports like HTTP or SMTP even)

I would instead try to explain this to the parents; try to set their
expectations more realistically.

The only effective control on a child's Internet access is to watch over
their shoulder while they are doing it.  Have their Internet access
limited to a PC in the living room when a parent is present, that'll avoid
any problems with accessing dodgy content.

Again this is only my opinion, others might believe the hype of the
net-nanny software vendors and entrust the moral welfare of their children
to some software and a belief that they can stay one step ahead ;-)

Aled
--
      ++    Amazingly cheap server hosting in Telehouse, London    ++
      ++               http://www.qix.co.uk/colo/                  ++