more RAM + faster disk -> slower box?!

Ian Pallfreeman ip at mcc.ac.uk
Thu Nov 29 16:06:40 GMT 2001

> Go for it, but if taking out memory fixes the problem, then there will be a
> public ceremony for Manchester BSDers in the Lass O' Gowrie where I will eat
> my BSD horns and tail, date and time to be announced. :-)

You're a gentleman, a man of your word, and you're going to get indigestion.

Apparently (thanks Sam) I need "registered DIMMs" (whatever they are) in order
for the board to cache more than 512MB. Our so-called engineers knew nothing
about this; I got the usual shrugs from them when I asked about it. I mean,
I know I always get poor quality hardware, I just didn't expect it to be
quite this bad...

So, taking the memory down to 512MB has fixed the problem. My load averages
are down to 1-2 again, innd is spending almost all of its time in biord or
inode wait, and the nnrpds are waiting on the network not burning CPU. I'm
considering removing the remaining 512MB in hope that this will improve the
performance even more...

Thanks to everybody who answered my call for help. Ain't PC hardware shit?
But at least we've got software we can trust, hm?

Ian.