dieing hdd

Hiten Pandya hitmaster2k at yahoo.com
Fri Nov 23 16:55:32 GMT 2001

hi...
i had this type of dying hdd problem with a scsi
drive... so.. what i did was... use the ol' cp(1)
command.. which did the trick of copying the stuff
exactly as it was before....

all you do is.. once you have mounted your other
drive... with the current one (of course).. do this in
single user mode... beleive me.. it helps...

from the root of the drives...

cp -vR /old /new...

-R - copy entire directory and subtree...
-v - Verbose...

what it will do is.. it will copy the stuff exactly
with the directories to the other drive without a
problem... (i havent got a problem with this
technique..)...

thanks..
regards...
Hiten Pandya <hitmaster2k at yahoo.com>..

--- "Livingstone, Lee"
> OK people i got a problem that is bugging me.
>
> i have a freebsd 4.3 machine that i use as a router.
> It has NATD a firewall,
> samba, apache...all setup nicely. But the harddrive
> is doing its best to die
> on me. I am installing a second hdd with the purpose
> of doing an exact copy
> of the original drive.
>
> What would be the best way to go about this?
> would dd if=/dev/acd0 of=/dev/acd1 work?
>
> guidance needed in this area....
>
> cheers
>
> Lee Livingstone

=====