dieing hdd

Paul Civati paul at xciv.org
Fri Nov 23 13:26:11 GMT 2001

"Livingstone, Lee" <lee_livingstone at mcgraw-hill.com> wrote:

> I am installing a second hdd with the purpose of doing an exact copy
> of the original drive.
>
> What would be the best way to go about this?
> would dd if=/dev/acd0 of=/dev/acd1 work?

It would work, but it's not optimal unless both disks are identical,
ie. have the same geometry.  I'd guess your new disk would be bigger,
so you'd end up with some space on the new disk that is unused, think
of dd in this way as an image copy.

On solaris I'd partition the new disk (and newfs?) then ufsdump
piped into a ufsrestore in single user mode.  I'm guessing you
might be able to do the same with FreeBSD, otherwise you could
use something like tar or pax or cpio to transfer the files
across.  Then you'll have to do a manual boot block install.

If you have a google you might find more info, I'm sure someone
wrote a page somewhere listing all the different methods.

-Paul-