Boot loader fails on transition from 4.2 to 4.4.1

Paul Civati paul at xciv.org
Sat Nov 17 12:52:54 GMT 2001

"Jon Schneider" <jon at axismilton.ltd.uk> wrote:

> I think this is something to do with the (why on earth did they
> do that) transition from wd/sd/st to ad/da/sa device names.

I think that was the migration from the older IDE/SCSI sub-systems
to the newer sub-systems and CAM SCSI stuff.

> Also the seemingly overcomplicated boot loader FreeBSD has.

It is, but that also brings flexibility.

> I found I could specify ufs:/dev/ad0s2a to proceed and will be
> rebuilding the kernel anyway which should sort it.

I guess you booted the 4.2 kernel under 4.4.1, probably not
an ideal situation.

> But why has this happened and am I alone ?

I think the wd* devices were deprecated quite a while ago and
were only left in for a while for backwards compatibility.

-Paul-