Boot loader fails on transition from 4.2 to 4.4.1

Jon Schneider jon at axismilton.ltd.uk
Sat Nov 17 12:35:11 GMT 2001

I just upgraded my 4.2 to 4.4.1 but the boot after the upgrade failed
after firing up the kernel but before mounting root with

ufs:/dev/wd0s2a ... no such device

I think this is something to do with the (why on earth did they do
that) transition from wd/sd/st to ad/da/sa device names. Also the
seemingly overcomplicated boot loader FreeBSD has.

I tried putting rootdev=ad0s2a in /boot/loader.conf then
/boot/defaults/loader.conf (as it only mentions the latter when
booting) to no avail.

I found I could specify ufs:/dev/ad0s2a to proceed and will be
rebuilding the kernel anyway which should sort it.

But why has this happened and am I alone ?

	Jon