first major hurdle after install of 4.4

Mark Blackman mark at blackmans.org
Thu Nov 15 16:34:03 GMT 2001

> I AM having problems with a USB keyboard though. I know it works in
> Windows and in Mandrake.
>
> Here is an excerpt from dmesg:
>
> uhci0: <Intel 82371AB/EB (PIIX4) USB controller> port 0xfce0-0xfcff irq
> 5 at device 7.2 on pci0
> usb0: <Intel 82371AB/EB (PIIX4) USB controller> on uhci0
> usb0: USB revision 1.0
> uhub0: Intel UHCI root hub, class 9/0, rev 1.00/1.00, addr 1
> uhub0: 2 ports with 2 removable, self powered
> ukbd0: IBM IBM Standard USB Keyboard, rev 1.00/0.80, addr 2, iclass 3/1
> kbd1 at ukbd0
> ums0: IBM IBM Standard USB Keyboard, rev 1.00/0.80, addr 2, iclass 3/1
> ums0: 3 buttons and Z dir.
>
> The keyboard also has a PS/2 port which I had the mouse on, but since
> moved it to the latop connector where it works fine.
>
> I did a bit of searching, and some of the sites say that USB is 'flakey'
> and you really need to be using -CURRENT to get it working well.  Is
> this true or should a keyboard work fine in 4.4.

USB Keyboards have worked fine for me since 4.2 at least.
According to kbdcontrol(1)

     To change the default console keyboard to the another keyboard, for exam-
     ple the first USB keyboard (see ukbd(4)), use the following commands.

           kbdcontrol -k /dev/kbd1 < /dev/console

     To switch back to the default keyboard, use this command.

           kbdcontrol -k /dev/kbd0

> Would I be best to upgrade to CURRENT ?  I found a link in the handbook
> saying I should use 'cvsup standard.supfile' which I downloaded and ran
> after getting cvsup.  I tried using the url anoncvs.freebsd.org for the
> server but it didn't seem to accept connection. Can someone please point
> me to a London/UK based anoncvs server.

Anonymous CVS and CVSup are two very different mechanisms for
getting a copy of the source tree.  CVSup is very much to
be recommended above anoncvs (for reasons of efficiency).

a) get cvsup; 'pkg_add -rv cvsup' as root
b) copy /usr/share/examples/cvsup/stable-supfile (for STABLE branch)
   to somewhere convenient, say "/usr/local/etc".
   Edit the new file to change the cvsup server to
   'cvsup.uk.freebsd.org', for example and then just..

c)  'cvsup -g -L2 /usr/local/etc/stable-supfile'