The Ports Tree -up-dating

Nik Clayton nik at freebsd.org
Mon Nov 12 11:50:16 GMT 2001

--U+BazGySraz5kW0T

On Sat, Nov 10, 2001 at 04:29:35PM +0000, Peter James wrote:
> I am still finding it impossible to up-date the ports tree, and I wonder =
if=20
> anyone on this group could just fault-find for me as follows.

How did you install CVSup?  What does

    pkg_info cvsup\*

show?

> 1.The file cvsup-bin is located in /usr/ports/distfiles/cvsup-bin  Is thi=
s=20
> the correct directory for the file?

Possibly, but that's not relevant.

> 2. The file ports-supfile is in the same directory.  Is this correct?

No.  Well, it's unusual, anyway.  Since this is a configuration file it
would be usual to place this under /usr/local/etc/.  I have a
collection of these files,

    /usr/local/etc/supfile.doc
                   supfile.src
		   supfile.ports

and so on.

> 3.  Once I have connected to my ISP using ppp papchap I run the following=
=20
> command from /usr/ports/distfiles/
>                "cvsup -g -L 2 ports-supfile"
> only to get the error message "Warning cvsup: Failed 1"

Move ports-supfile to /usr/local/etc, and then run

    cvsup -g /usr/local/etc/ports-supfile

and send the results.  Make sure you do this as root.

> My ports-supfile reads:
>=20
> *default host=3Dcvsup.uk.FreeBSD.org
> *default base=3D/usr
> *default prefix=3D/usr
> *default release=3Dcvs tag=3DRELENG_4_4
> *default delete use-rel-suffix
> *default compress
> src-all
> ports-all tag=3D.

That looks fine.

> It might be indicative that whilst I can connect via dialup, I can't=20
> install a port either. =20

What error messages do you get?  If you can't install ports, how did
you install CVSup in the first place?

--=20
FreeBSD: The Power to Serve             http://www.freebsd.org/
FreeBSD Documentation Project           http://www.freebsd.org/docproj/

          --- 15B8 3FFC DDB4 34B0 AA5F  94B7 93A8 0764 2C37 E375 ---

--U+BazGySraz5kW0T

--U+BazGySraz5kW0T--