US Robotics 56K Voice Faxmodem

Roger McCalman roger at runcircle.co.uk
Tue Nov 6 16:46:31 GMT 2001

On Tue, Nov 06, 2001 at 03:52:33PM -0000, Jon Mercer wrote:
> this case I am using the enter key to get the output character by character.
> It seems that it requires any keystroke though, just to get the same effect.
> I'm assuming this isn't necessary for your modem? I.e., it's part of the
> problem, not a feature.

I was upgrading a 2.2.8 box to 4.4 using a complete format etc. I then had the
same symptoms talking to the serial port with the modem.

As the modem was on cuaa2/3 (as the on board ports were 16450's and not fast
enough). It urned out that the default irw selection for the ports was
transposed i.e. the IRQ for cuaa2 was going to cuaa3 and vice-a-versa. When
I looked at the old boot config I spotted the problem and also saw that the
dmesg had messages something like 'irq not in bitmap'.

I presume the input charaters were being processed during the transmitting of data
as no rx irq's were being generated.

Cheers, Roger