Intel 10/100 NIC

Russell James crumpo at bigfoot.com
Tue Nov 6 15:02:19 GMT 2001

I'm new to the FreeBSD community; in the last few days I have set-up a
FreeBSD box on one of our p2 Compaq Deskpro's at work.

All seems to be running fine, apart from the network connectivity.  The
card in the Deskpro is a 10/100 Intel Etherlink Pro.

When I go to initialize the Network card nothing seems to happen, it
doesn't throw up any errors, though neither does it show anything to
prove it has worked.

I can ping local host, but I can't ping any external addresses. Also my
windows based PC's on the rest of the network can't ping it either.

When I type ifconfig, it tells me

What does the broadcast address do?

Is there something I need to do, to route the packets?

I'm also considering getting Nildram ADSL at home, using freeBSD
machine as a router for the rest of my home network to the internet.
Anyone who has any experiances with Nildram ADSL, are they any good ?

Any idea's much appreciated

Russell