a bit of info

Aled Morris aledm at qix.co.uk
Thu Nov 1 11:26:42 GMT 2001

On Thu, 1 Nov 2001, Brian Somers wrote:

>I don't know what to say except that people should insist on checkout
>that they pay the cheaper (=A3121/night) rate.  People should also ask
>the hotel what the hell they think they're doing charging a *higher*
>rate to conference delegates.... (this angers me!!).

NANOG room rates are always higher than the standard rate since the hotel
applies the difference as a discount against the cost of the meeting
rooms.  This way, registration is kept low by subsidy from the rooms.

I suppose there is an assumption that some people can expense their room
costs and therefore can afford to provide more subsidy to the conference.
Kind of like the more expensive "corporate" registration at our own
FreeBSD con.

Aled