using tar with DAT drives

Simon Clayton Simon at RefTech.co.uk
Thu May 31 14:24:17 BST 2001

I have a machine running 4.0 to which I have fitted a 12/24 DAT drive.

Using tar, the drive is recognized and seems to work perfectly but
I have recently found that despite only having around 3Gb of data on
the system and trying to backup to a 12Gb tape - only some of the
data is actually being archived.

I have read the man page a number of times and been told that I can
change block sizes or block counts but I don't actually know what
the parameters should be.

So, the question is - can someone tell me the correct parameters or
should I be using something else entirely like cpio?

Regards

Simon