i4bisppp - is it important/required?

Neil Ford neil at ourshack.com
Fri May 25 22:51:30 BST 2001

So I'm building a gateway box for a customer with a BT Speedway card in it.

Went to build a custome kernel (under 4.3-STABLE) and added in what looked
like the right bits from LINT. However when I went to do the build I got
ithe following error;

linking kernel
i4b_isppp.o: In function `i4bispppattach':
i4b_isppp.o(.text+0x171): undefined reference to `sppp_attach'
i4b_isppp.o: In function `i4bisppp_ioctl':
i4b_isppp.o(.text+0x1bb): undefined reference to `sppp_ioctl'
i4b_isppp.o: In function `i4bisppp_start':
i4b_isppp.o(.text+0x1df): undefined reference to `sppp_isempty'
i4b_isppp.o(.text+0x2c6): undefined reference to `sppp_dequeue'
i4b_isppp.o: In function `i4bisppp_dialresponse':
i4b_isppp.o(.text+0x64f): undefined reference to `sppp_isempty'
i4b_isppp.o(.text+0x667): undefined reference to `sppp_dequeue'
i4b_isppp.o: In function `i4bisppp_rx_data_rdy':
i4b_isppp.o(.text+0x6ef): undefined reference to `sppp_input'
*** Error code 1

If I comment out the i4bispp device from the kernel it builds, install and
boots fine.

So my question is, is this device needed for standard dial-up usage (using
PPP) or can I survive without it?

The build was based on a CVSUP done this morning.

Neil.

<--- Kernel extract below --->

#ISDN Support
#
# AVM Fritz!Card PCI
#
options        AVM_A1_PCI
device         isic
#
#ISDN Protocol Stack
# -------------------
#
# Q.921 / layer 2 - i4b passive cards D channel handling
pseudo-device   "i4bq921"
#
# Q.931 / layer 3 - i4b passive cards D channel handling
pseudo-device   "i4bq931"
#
# layer 4 - i4b common passive and active card handling
pseudo-device   "i4b"
#
# ISDN devices
# ------------
#
# userland driver to do ISDN tracing (for passive cards only)
pseudo-device   "i4btrc"        4
#
# userland driver to control the whole thing
pseudo-device   "i4bctl"
#
# userland driver for access to raw B channel
pseudo-device   "i4brbch"       4
#
# userland driver for telephony
pseudo-device   "i4btel"        2
#
# network driver for IP over raw HDLC ISDN
pseudo-device   "i4bipr"        4
# enable VJ header compression detection for ipr i/f
options         IPR_VJ
# enable logging of the first n IP packets to isdnd (n=32 here)
#options        IPR_LOG=32
#
# network driver for sync PPP over ISDN; requires an equivalent
# number of sppp pseudo-devices to be configured
#pseudo-device   "i4bisppp"      4

--
Neil C. Ford
Managing Director, Yet Another Computer Solutions Company Limited